The General Church of the New Jerusalem, usually referred to simply as the "General Church" or the "New Church," is the legal name for our church organization.
The General Church exists to provide for the worship of the Lord Jesus Christ, the spreading of the truths of the New Church throughout the world, the promotion of a useful life of service to others, and the treatment of others with care and wisdom. It's headquarters are located in Bryn Athyn, Pennsylvania, USA which is home to the Bryn Athyn Cathedral.
The Executive Bishop governs the organized Church with the help of an Assistant Bishop. The Bishop also takes counsel with various clergy and lay boards and committees. A lay Board of Directors gives leadership in the business, financial and legal affairs of the church. A goal is to provide for the freedom of the clergy and the laity as they work together.
Mission statement goals for leadership
The General Church as an organization strives to fulfill the following as the first steps toward accomplishing the mission:
- Provide effective general leadership through an organization under episcopal government.
- Provide an effective priesthood.
- Effectively involve members and friends in the uses of the Church.
- Support the continuing translation and publication of the teachings of the New Church.
- Maintain and expand a strong financial base for the present and future needs of the Church.
- Provide appropriate financial, career, and emotional support for employees and volunteers.
- Develop, maintain, and provide effective communications throughout the Church.
Directory of General Church leadership
- President and Executive Bishop of the General Church: Rt. Rev. Brian W. Keith
- Vice President and Assistant to the Bishop: Rt. Rev. Peter M. Buss Jr.
- Treasurer/Executive Directory: David O. Frazier
- Secretary of the General Church Unincorporated: Anita Halterman
- Secretary of the General Church Corporation: Daniel Martz
- Office of Outreach: Rev. David Lindrooth, Director
- Controller: Wendy Cooper
- Information Technology: Rich Daum
- Human Resources: Karen Stoeller, Director
- Giving Operations: Mark Wyncoll, GC Manager